Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Uninstalling Linux without screwing up Windows

I have a Windows XP, Mandrake Linux dual boot PC. I had installed Linux after windows as normally anybody will do.  I had done this almost 2 years back and unfortunately out of nowhere I had given a 2 GB Partition for the Windows Installation Drive. I know, I know...What on earth was I thinking?

My system started complaining of too less space in the OS directory and applications started behaving abnormally (probably because they expected some space in the temp directory and didnt find much). So I decided to uninstall Linux and resize by Windows Installation Partition. The problem was I didnt have a clue how to?

So I went on a search on how to uninstall Linux without screwing up the windows installation because simply deleteing the partition will screw up my MBR and would leave my hard disk useless.

Finally I did finf a way. I used the Windows Installation CD to boot and went inside the Windows Recovery Console (Press F10 or R). I then used the command fixmbr to overwrite my MBR.

Then I restarted the machine which automatically booted to my XP and then used the Windows Device Manager to delete and format the Linux Partitions.

I then used Partition Magic to resize my OS installed Drive and then restarted my machine to apply changes. It all went like a charm!

No comments: