Friday, July 14, 2006

Installing Subversion in Windows

I decided I had enough of CVSNT and went ahead to install Subversion in my machine.

First I downloaded Subversions exe svn 1.3.2

All of you who I think I am crazy not to have gone to the tigris site please stop your bad mouthings. The clicksetup thingy always returned a "page not found" so I decided I will choose this alternate site.

I also downloaded the TortoiseSVN 1.3.5 and Rapid SVN client 0.8.0 from the same site.

Then I went ahead and installed the subversion exe thingy to my system. Amazing enough it went without a hitch! The I installed the tortoise and Rapid SVN client thingy too and everything was amazingly sucessful. Now that was easy!

The Tortoise thingy asked me to restart my machine which I did and I could see it integrated with the windows explorer.

I created a folder called svnrepo where I decided I will keep all my repositories and then created another folder called Test under it.

I went inside Test, right clicked - > Tortoise - > Create New Repositiory and wallah I got a new repository. Ofcourse I selected the fsfs as the means of storage (mostly because I liked the name of the Berkeley thingy).

Then I downloaded SVNService placed the exe in the bin directory of subversion and ran "SVNService -install -d -r d:\svnrepo" and then started the service ensuring to change the startup type to automatic in the control panel.

Thats it....subversion was up and running and I had my first repostory too.

No comments: